Wednesday, May 6, 2009

When it All Goes Well

When your vegies grow in ideal conditions, they can grow very fast.

I took this picture of my newly-planted seedlings on April 3rd.


Here they are again on May 4th...



Some pak choy from the first shot have been eaten already, and we had a few more in our stir-fry last night. You can see that the broccoli and cabbage (blue leaves) are doing well, but not ready to eat, while the pak choy and the lettuces are. During the month, beetroot and celery seedlings were put in. There are a few tiny dill seedlings coming up, and I'm hoping for chervil in there somewhere. This is what guild planting -- and eating -- is meant to be like!

My garden usually doesn't look as good as this, but the April temperature and rainfall were just right for the plants. They were also just right for snails, which accounts for the holes chomped in the outer brassica leaves. I have pulled off a few cabbage white caterpillars and fed them to the chooks, but they weren't in vast numbers.

I am now awaiting pea seedlings anxiously. My luck with them is minimal...

4 comments:

Matron said...

That's what I love about blogging - you can keep a diary about what grows and when. Seeing just how much stuff grows in such a short space of time is fascinating.

Kin said...

After exams I'm going to get my green thumb out of hiding and whip it into action on my sadly neglected plants.

I might even try some tomato's again...

City Diggity said...

Your crop looks great. I can't wait till I have something to harvest. It'll be a couple months still though. Happy gardening.

Gardenista said...

Looks like your lettuce and other greens are growing well. As for my garden and your comment, I suppose our last harvest is in early September. It's not a long season, that's for sure.